From:
Scott Ayen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Ayen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 1994 00:43:44 EST
   In tonight's game between SLU and Princeton at Appleton Arena, the
three stars of the game belong to John Murphy, Marty McDonough, and
? Legault.  These three men were not from either SLU or Princeton, but
rather they were the "Officials" of the game.  But I do not know which
game it was they were watching and the calls reflected this.  These 3
men are also members of college hockey's WORST officiating crew (ECAC
Referee's In General).  I believe that because of their lack of
backbone they whimp out on calling the true call.  They see a pile up &
immediately call coincidental minor penalties to those who are in the
middle of the pile up.  Like in tonight's game when a Princeton player
CLEARLY cross-checked an SLU man to the ice and was penalized as was the
guy who was lying face first on the ice.  They (Tonight's Ref's) also
made calls for which they were CLEARLY out of position.  For Example:
In the 2nd Period, John Murphy, while his back was to the so-called
infraction, made a call based on the Oscar Winning Performance of #17
Miro Pasic of Princeton.  The so-called infraction occurred directly in
front of the student section, where I was seated.  I CLEARLY saw the
award winning performance (beware Tom Hanks) and there was CLEARLY
no infraction committed (only assumed).  Needless to say, Mr. Murphy
was boo-ed by the entire section who CLEARLY did see what actually had
occurred.  I hate to ramble and even yes, whine, but in yet another play
I saw a Princeton forward who was CLEARLY interfering with goaltender
Paul Spagnoletti of SLU.  On the play, another Princeton player scored,
and nothing was called.  I believe that at the very least, a crease
violation should have been called, and the goal waved-off.  This goal
was the game winner and just another piece of MAGNIFICENT refereeing on
the part of the ECAC refs.  Despite this wretched officiating, SLU
could/should have won the game, but allowed Princeton, like many other
teams this year, to walk all over them.

Just some general questions (answer if possible):

 Who is the ECAC Commissioner?
 Do ECAC refs know what holding is? (I have watched teams such as Union,
  Princeton, Cornell, and yes, even Clarkson hold everything and
  anything and it is just fine, but for teams such as Harvard, RPI, or
  St. Lawrence, this act is penalized every time).
 Or is the correct question, Why are the above listed teams given the
  leeway to commit such offenses without penalization?
 Has anyone else noted, as I have many, many, many, many times, that
  when teams of lesser "ability" get behind, a myriad of penalties
  follow which lift the team back into contention (or maybe I am
  simply dreaming this shit up!)?

Sorry about the whining, but these issues needed to be brought forth,
in hope that the ECAC find more credible/qualified referees and not
the "cracker-jack-box" certified refs that now flourish in the ECAC.

     *************
    *     %       *                ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY
    *     %                            SKATING SAINTS
    *     %
     *************
          %        *                '62, '88, '89, & '92
          %        *                   ECAC Champions
          %                     Runner-up National Championss

                                 *= NOTE: The thoughts and comments
    By Scott Ayen '96                     presented may or may not be
               --SLU*                     those expressed or endorced
                                          by ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY !