From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 15:08:55 -0500
Tonight sees the renewal of what is becoming one of the better rivalries in
college hockey when the Michigan State Spartans (a name offensive to Greek
peoples) invade Sault Ste. Marie to take on the Lake Superior State Lakers
(a name offensive to those who don't like salt water).  Michigan State leads
the all-time series between the two Michigan schools 33-21-4, including a 6-4
win at East Lansing on November 23.

Lake Superior is coming off a weekend's rest which should see the return of
their No. 1 goaltender, Blaine Lacher.  The Lakers' month of January could
best be described as "topsy-turvy."  Following their win at the year-ending
and year-beginning Mariucci Classic, the Lakers went on a big-time roller
coaster ride.  A sweep at the hands of #1 Michigan began a series of somewhat
un-Lakerlike performances, including losses at Bowling Green and a home tie
against lowly Ohio State.  If any team needed a rest, it appeared to be the
Lakers.  (Yes, I do realize that LSSU only lost once at BG.  I just got a
bit carried away.)

Look up erratic in the dictionary, it says "See MSU, '93-'94 season."  The
Spartans have reeled off five straight road victories, including big wins
at Michigan and Bowling Green.  At home, however, the Spartans have been any-
thing but enjoyable to watch.  A defensive struggle against Bowling Green was
followed up by a poor performance against Michigan and an ever poorer perfor-
mance against Ohio State.  Only some good power play goals against UIC saved
the Spartans from what could have been a very embarrasing home stand.  However,
now that Michigan State is on the road, their "us vs. the rest of the world"
mentality this season may take over again.  The only problem is that they are
playing the team and the school that has had "us vs. the rest of the world"
tattooed on their foreheads for years.

Unlike the UM-MSU rivalry (which, let's face it, is pretty much built on hatred)the Spartan-Laker rivalry is built on somewhat of a grudging respect.  Sort of
"you hate to see them beat you, but you know they played a hell of a game in
doing it," and "Please, God, don't make us have to play them come tournament
time."

Like John in Ann Arbor, LSSU is my second favorite team.  That's why I always
have problems when this game rolls around.  LSSU has always been the kind of
team that REALLY makes you pay for mistakes, and this weekend's series should
be no exception.  Expect two close games, and most likely a split.  (Actually,
come to think of it, John and I almost have the same favorite team.  He's just
five letters off. :-) )

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?

P. S.  To those in the administration at Minnesota and Wisconsin (this may or
        may not necessarily include the fans) who have decided not to play
        teams with Native American names unless they are traditional rivals
        (e. g. Illinois, North Dakota), I only have this to ask:  Did you ask
        the permission of EVERY single furry rodent that your school uses as
        its nickname their permission before you adopted the name?  Don't you
        think some of THEM might be offended that you would use it?  Aren't you
        sensitive enough?  DON'T YOU CARE?