From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 91 19:03:58 EST
    I'm glad I decided to stay late tonight and answer all this mail! :-)

Coach Schafer writes:
>With interest I read about the Independent tournament in Anchorage,
>Alaska March 9-10.  I had not heard the news the Notre Dame would
>be playing against Fairbanks in the first game, although it doesn't
>surprise me.  Actually, I believe that the seedings will be made
>after this weekend's important series between Fairbanks and
>Anchorage.

    I don't recall where I saw the seedings.  It may have been sometime
    before the season even began.  So, if the idea is that the 4th-best
    independent (perhaps from the KBYR poll?) will play #1, and #2 will
    play #3, then what I gave as the matchups may be incorrect.  I was
    not aware that the tourney was to be conducted in that format, but
    it makes sense to do it that way.

>                             The N.D. administration had a very
>informative meeting with Commissioner Bill Beagan of the CCHA. There
>is little doubt that we would be welcome in the league.

    That is news that I am glad to hear.  Would 11 teams be too many for
    the CCHA?  They will already need to reorganize with Kent joining
    and the 34-game limit about to begin, so logistically it doesn't
    seem too difficult to admit another team, and ND is the logical
    choice.  I hope you will keep us informed as to what the status
    is and let us know if ND does decide to apply.  I know that through
    your team's travels this season, you've made a great many friends
    and have many supporters in fans of other teams who would like to
    see Notre Dame continue its return to the quality program it once was.

    In attending the ND-BC game back in January, it was pretty obvious
    that although many fans didn't know anything about ND hockey, the
    simple fact that it is ND draws their attention.  That is something that
    should work to your benefit early on.  Good luck and I hope the ND
    administration is reading this mail!

    - mike

    p.s. has there been any increase in the number of scholarships
         offered next year?  How is recruiting going?
    p.p.s. can you tell us the makeup of the schedule for 91-92?