From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1992 09:52:51 CST
Bri Farenell writes:
>I'd have to agree with Carol that the regional would probably have
>done better in Minneapolis (or Madison for that matter). Detroit just
>isn't a HUGE hockey town. It likes the Red Wings but as far as college
>hockey, I doubt there is much sympathy. In Minneapolis or Madison, where
>there is a core of solid hockey fans, you would get a lot more attendance
>even without the Gophers or Badgers. I know I and many other in the North
>Coutnry would go to a regional if it were held in Potsdam or Canton
>even if Clarkson/SLU weren't playing. MInneapolis and Madison have proven
>that they support college hockey and deserve it more than Detroit.
>You see, Michigan and MSU just aren't big hockey schools. Football and
>basketball rule there.

   I'm not at all sure it's Detroit's fault that the West Regional was poorly
attended.  After all, the NC$$ championships have drawn big crowds in The Joe,
as have the Michigan vs. Michigan State games.  With the regional format,
fans had to decide to travel to see their team with only a few days
advance notice.  I believe the seedings were annnounced on a Sunday evening,
with the regionals scheduled for the following weekend.  Now, college
basketball fans have dealt with this for years, but this is new to college
hockey.  I would prefer that the NC$$ go back to on-campus sites, but
I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.
   Incidentally, hockey comes in third in attendance at the University of
Minnesota, after football and basketball.

-- Erik
Erik Biever                              --GOLDEN GOPHER   MMMMM    MMMMM
St. Paul, Minnesota - Home of the       --HOCKEY            MM MM  MM MM
1994 NCAA Championship Tournament      --Fastest Game      MM   MMMM   MM
BITNET:    e-biev@uminn1              --In Town           MM   MMMMMM   MM
INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]                      MMMMM          MMMMM