From:
Trudy DeGraff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trudy DeGraff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1992 16:03:06 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> Jon Greene
 <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I can think of one other reason that some ECAC schools might oppose a
>move to Albany....concern that RPI might have an "unfair" advantage.
>Unlike Harvard, which does not have a very fanatical following and thus
>gained very little advantage at the Garden, the Engineers invariably
>lead the league in attendance and usually draw a good alumni following
>on the road.

RPI traditionally has a very large following - even on the road.  During
their playoff run this year, almost 1/3 of the crowd at the Harvard game
were RPI fans - very loud and very RED!  While its true that there are
a lot of alumni in the Boston area, a good portion of the crowd was
from the Troy area.  If it hadn't been spring break, there would have
been even more people.  As for the garden, RPI again always had a good
showing of support in the crowd.  Again, if it hadn't been for spring
break (and the unlikely scenario that brought RPI to the finals) I
know there would have been an even larger RPI contingent at the garden
this year.

It doesn`t seem to matter where the games are played - if it's playoff
hockey - RPI WILL have a crowd.  Look at '85...more than 5000 RPI fans from
the Capital district made the trek to Detroit!

The other ECAC schools might think that it would be an RPI advantage
at the Knick, but no more so than any other place they hold a playoff!
And unfortunately, that was a major factor in the voting for the move.
But, since I expect RPI will make it to the finals this year, I expect
there will be a LARGE crowd dressed in CHERRY RED - even in Lake Placid!
(Note: I think one of the advantages RPI does have is that they have the
largest home rink capacity of the ECAC - so their following tends to be larger
than other schools!)

Trudy
RPI '76 and '94 (I hope)
100% Natural Noise