From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1992 11:35:26 EDT
Saw this piece of great news in the paper yesterday.  Jay Heinbuck was
named assistant coach and rink director at St Lawrence.  Heinie was one of
Northeastern's all-time greats and ranks tenth on the Huskies' all-time
scoring list with 50 goals and 95 assists from 1982-86.  In 1985-86, his
senior year, he racked up 30-40--70.  Only two players in Hockey East history
have ever scored more points in league games than Heinie did that season;
his 27-38--65 was topped only by Scott Harlow (32-35--67, also 1985-86) and
Craig Janney (23-51--74 in 1986-87), both of BC.

Heinie's a great guy and I'm very happy to see him go to a good program like
SLU.  In 1986-87, while finishing his fifth year at Northeastern, he and
Stew Emerson coached the JV team which I managed as a sophomore, and we had
a great time...once I ended up as coach when both guys got tossed for arguing
a call vehemently.

Heinbuck also spent a year as an assistant at Northeastern under Don
McKenney before Ben Smith came in.

Now I have a reason to make sure to catch SLU when they come out here this
year.

BTW, I wonder if SLU is getting around the full/part-time thing by paying
Heinie as the rink director chiefly...or if they wanted to hire him in time
to pay him that lump sum prior to August 1st.

- mike