From:
Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1992 23:04:13 EDT
I can think of one other reason that some ECAC schools might oppose a
move to Albany....concern that RPI might have an "unfair" advantage.
Unlike Harvard, which does not have a very fanatical following and thus
gained very little advantage at the Garden, the Engineers invariably
lead the league in attendance and usually draw a good alumni following
on the road.

I still remember the ECAC Championships in '85.  When the Engineers took
the ice 6,000 plus RPI fans exploded in a sea of red and shook the old
building.   Even my Cornell friends were overwhelmed.

This would all be irrelevant if the team wasn't good.  Buddy Powers had
a very young club (I believe all of the top scorers were freshman and
sophomores) which finally put it together in the playoffs.  With only
one senior on this year's team and what I've been told is an outstanding
recruiting year they will be a team to watch in the next couple of
years.

Has anyone heard this issue raised?

Jon Greene
RPI '82  Cornell '84