Date:
Wed, 27 May 1992 10:19:54 EDT
OK, for those of you that have bombarded me with notes regarding my
"whining" about the Hobey Baker award:

I have NO problem with Scott Pellerin receiving the Hobey Baker award.
I have no first hand knowledge, but I must assume that Pellerin is indeed
a leader on and off the ice to receive the recognition he has.  I saw
Pellerin play during the 1990-91 season -- he was quite impressive as
was Roy, Montgomery, Downey, Carney and Straub.  To my eyes, Pellerin
did not stand-out above his teammates on the ice, hence I assume that
he has a leadership quality not visible to the eye.

I have never implied that Pellerin lacks character or leadership ability,
nor have I claimed that he did not deserve the Hobey.  My last posting
simply pointed out that he was NOT among the top 15 scorers in the nation,
which is very suprising.  He seems to have enjoyed more statistical success
prior to his senior season.  Also, his 6 shorthanded goals serve as a
proxy to indicate that he is a solid two-way forward.

For those that have been paying attention, my gripe is with the selection
of Dwayne Norris as CCHA player of the year.  Norris is a solid two-way
player (ala Pellerin) and unquestionably an All-American.  But, as a fan
of the CCHA, I feel he did not deserve the player of the year award.  Yes,
Felsner and Madeley fared better "statistically", but it appears that
while hyping Pellerin for his leadership, no one gave any thought to that
fact that Felsner and Madeley were most certainly the team leaders of
Michigan and Lake Superior, respectively.  I'm not close to the Michigan
State program, but I view Joby Messier and Mike Gilmore as the leaders of
the Spartans.  Norris has many qualities, but IMHO he's not the total
package that Felsner and Madeley are.

I cannot apologize for promoting the best collegiate scorer and goaltender
that I've had the pleasure of watching play.  If you consider that whining,
so be it.  But please, don't falsely accuse me where the Hobey Baker is
concerned.

John H
U Mich