From:
Mike Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:50:14 -0600
Unless you are thinking of how basketball handles final shots, I do not
believe this is inconsistent.

Icing is signaled when the shot/pass leaves the stick of the offending
player and it is not called until it has crossed the goal line. Keep in
mind, they wait to call icing until the goal line as there could be
possible reasons to waive it off.

It the puck hits a teammate after the penalty expired and that teammate
was still on the wrong side of the red line, icing would be called.  If
the player was in the offensive side of the red line, icing would be
waived.

If the puck hit an opposing players skate or stick, icing is waived
anyway.

The answer may not be coming directly from the book, but it is very
close to the explanation the book would give.

Mike Larson
Minnesota Official Scorer