From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:33:56 -0500
John Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Hampton, Nathan E.
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Isn't it the case for checking from behind, that it is a 5-minute major and Game DQ automatically? If the call was checking from
>> behind, than there is no choice or option for the referee. Normally referees try to wiggle out of the automatic DQ by calling boarding
>> instead of checking from behind. That is where the real judgment comes in. But if the call was boarding, and then the Game DQ was
>> done separately, then it must have been for a different reason.
>
> Checking from behind into the boards or the net is a 5-minute major
> and either a Game Misconduct or a Game Disqualification.
>
> You're right, though, that Boarding is the call used to keep a player
> in the game, if the referee doesn't feel that it warrants ejection.

Note that in response to referee's usage of boarding to keep players in
the game in those situations, recent advice to referees admonished them
to only call hitting from behind for hits from behind into the boards.
I think that point of emphasis was in the last (rather than current)
version of the rules, but I'm not 100% certain.