From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:44:51 -0500
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I understand that the rules are very specific in defining how a game
> misconduct differs from a game disqualification under rule 4.  But that was
> not my question.  What I am interested in is the criteria used by the
> officials to determine whether a game misconduct, a game disqualification
> or
> neither of the above is warranted.

From what I read of the rulebook, it appears that causing injury is
generally the dividing line, in cases were the referee has the discretion to
issue a game misconduct or game disqualification. That said, I suspect that
the distinction is something that is covered in referees' meetings and
directives from the NCAA and/or conferences.

The hit being at the end of the game would be an aggravating factor, as (as
you've said), a game misconduct would be a meaningless penalty.

> Boarding (it is written) carries either a minor or a major. There is no
> mention of either a game misconduct
> or disqualification. As another poster noted, the only reasonable
> explanation  for the call was that there was a major for boarding and the
> game disqualification was for a different infraction (excessive roughness
> rule 6,section 13).

It is also possible that the penalty was actually assessed for hitting from
behind, which can be punished by a major + DQ, but was recorded incorrectly.

John

--
John Edwards
I used to put quotes here.