From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:32:48 -0600
> > Date:         Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:57:56 -0500
> > From: Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Re: Protocol penalty
> >
> > Union was also called for one of these earlier this month.  Here's
> > some information about it from Ken Schott of the Daily Gazette:
> >
> > http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2008/nov/14/1114_hkcnotes/
> 	A penalty that has been rarely enforced is a rule that
> 	prohibits players from going on the ice at the end of a period
> 	to greet their goalie. Union was called for that penalty at
> 	the end of the first period against Harvard.
>
> Excuse me, but few facilities have a way to get to the locker room
> from the bench other than by skating. Wjhat am i missing here??

I can not find that specific rule in the NCAA rule book.

Rule 8-2-c comes close to addressing Charlie's question:

  c. When both teams exit the ice surface through a common exit, the
     team whose players bench is closest to the exit shall leave the ice
     first. On-ice officials may hold or direct players at their
     discretion.

I could not find anything in Rule 8 (Game Protocol) that prohibits
players from going on the ice at the end of the period, or even anything
else about how to exit for the intermission (there is great detail about
how the teams enter the rink).

    --david