From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:50:43 -0500
If you think Bush only nets $400,000 a year you have your head in a dark place.  But that's an irrelevant issue as you rightly point out.  We live in an insane world where top athletes make money way out of proportion to their contributions to their sports, or anything else for that matter, and top coaches in all sports, college or professional, likewise are overpaid, just as are CEOs of companies.  Note that if people refused to pay X dollars for tickets, those salaries would necessarily go down.  Likewise, if nobody was willing to offer over $150,000 for the salary of a college hockey coach, my bet is that most of those coaching now would still be coaching for those sums, and those who wouldn't would be replaced by good coaches.  We have allowed market factors and greed to drive salaries off the deep end for coaches and athletes and, in the end, its our fault.  As Pogo once quipped, "We has met the enemy and he is us."

Tom Rowe
I used to have quotes here, too