From:
Eugene Tavares <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:41:04 -0800
I'll agree with the staleness and cuteness, but I have
seen the sieve chant
affect a goalie about 8 years ago.  Princeton (I
think) was playing Cornell
(GO BIG RED!) in 98 or 99...long after the chant
started.  The opposing
goalie was up by 2 goals, but was having a bad game
and the crowd did get a
chance to do the sieve, and the "goalie (point at your
goalie), "post",
"sieve" chant as Cornell had hit the pipe a few times.
 They had a hard shot
on the Cornell goal that hit the crossbar.  The goalie
skated all the way to
the blue line boards to taunt the Cornell
crowd...unfortunately it wasn't a
goal...it ricocheted off the crossbar to center ice
and the Cornell center
walked it into the goal.  Needless to say, the head
coach wasn't too fond of
his goalie.  He let it get to him.  I still remember
Cornell lost the game,
though.  Still, I had always assumed the players tuned
out the chants.  I
was wrong.

-Gene
Cornell '00

PS...I'm a long-time lurker, but my first post!