From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:59:51 -0500
The first time I heard it was while visiting Wisconsin for a Wisconsin-Minnesota hockey series while attending the University of Minnesota.

The PA announcer, Phil Mendel, greeted the crowd with "Good evening, hockey fans," and they replied in unison, "Good evening, Phil."

Whenever the Badgers scored, the fans would stand, point at the opposing goaltender, and chant "sieve, sieve, sieve," etc.