From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 09:50:47 -0500
At 07:34 PM 4/2/98 -0800, Jim Walker wrote:
>It was certainly nice to be able to watch the semi-final
>games on TV but the commentary was absolutely
>horrible.  Steve Levy obviously hasn't watched much
>hockey and didn't prepare very well for the games.
>Very frequently the announcers wouldn't even recognize
>that a power-play was going on until halfway through
>it.  And to top it off, Steve Levy said "... the winner will
>advance to play Michigan, who beat Rhode Island in
>the earlier game."  Unbelievable.

What was even worse was that he mentioned Rhode Island *twice*....

Steve Levy has done a few NHL games in his time, though, and while
I didn't think he was any Mike Emerick, he didn't do so bad. It seems
obvious to me that he's a better studio host than play-by-play man.

>Although it was tough to endure, I guess it beats not
>being able to see the game.

Hear, hear....

If we all send our comments to ESPN, things will be better in time.
I would suggest no flaming or blasting the commentary, as we're lucky
to get it, period. Not to mention that we've been screaming at ESPN
to cover hockey for years, anyway.

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam  '93
Union College  '95