From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:01:00 EST
I just posted the team(s) to Info-Hockey-L.  Here is more
detail on the voting, with a few comments.  Any clerical
errors are mine.

FORWARDS                                VOTES
TEAM  NAME (SCHOOL)                1ST 2ND 3RD PTS
  1   Bill Muckalt (Michigan)      10   0   0  100
  1   Sean Berens (Michigan State)  8   2   0   90
  1   Hugo Boisvert (Ohio State)    8   2   0   90
  2   Mike York (Michigan State)    6   4   0   80
  2   Terry Marchant (Lake State)   1   *   *   50
  2   Bobby Hayes (Michigan)        0   *   *   35
 HM   Eric Meloche (Ohio State)     0   *   *   29
 HM   Adam Copeland (Miami)         0   *   *   24
 HM   Chris Richards (Ohio State)   0   *   *   21
      Aniket Dhadphale (Notre Dame) 0   *   *   20
      Joel Irwin (Ferris State)     0   0   3    6
      Jason Sessa (Lake Superior)   0   0   3    6
      Roger Trudeau (North Mich)    0   0   2    4
      Joe Blaznek (Lake Superior)   0   0   1    2
      Ben Simon (Notre Dame)        0   0   1    2
      Brent Wishart (Ferris State)  0   0   1    2

Comments: Commendable choices.  I still prefer York to
Boisvert, but Hugo did win the scoring title.  I'm confused
by the vote receivers after Dhadphale.  The coaches
must have been voting for friends of the family, or something.

DEFENSE                                 VOTES
TEAM  NAME (SCHOOL)                1ST 2ND 3RD PTS
  1   Tyler Harlton (Michigan St)   8   2   0   90
  1   Dan Boyle (Miami)             8   1   1   87
  2   Bubba Berenzweig (Michigan)   3   1   3   41
  2   Brett Colborne (Ferris St)    1   5   3   41
 HM   Mike Weaver (Michigan St)     1   *   *   31
 HM   Curtis Sheptak (North Mich)   1   1   3   21
      Ryan Root (Ohio State)        0   *   *   19
      Mark Eaton (Notre Dame)       0   *   *   14
      Mike Van Ryn (Michigan)       0   1   3   11
      Ted Laviolette (Lake State)   0   1   2    9
      Benoit Cotnoir (Notre Dame)   0   1   0    5
      Rocky Welsing (North Mich)    0   1   0    5

Comments: I can see Boyle getting the third team vote more
than I can see Harlton getting the second team votes.  I'm
thrilled that three coaches put Berenzweig on the first team.
Note that three also left him off of the ballot.  Bubba wasn't
as high on my team because I guarded against my
subjectivity (I love the kid) taking over.  I guess I was too
conservative.  I also think that MSU's Chris Bogas deserves
some mention...I like him more than Weaver...but I'm
guessing that no one wanted to put three Spartans in the
group of six...even if they are deserving.  Sheptak's HM
selection is a bit of a surprise, but not an unwarranted one.
I'm really impressed that the coaches gave as much
attention as they did to Eaton and Van Ryn, both freshmen.
I'm shocked that Cotnoir only received one vote.

GOALTENDERS                             VOTES
TEAM  NAME (SCHOOL)                1ST 2ND 3RD PTS
  1   Chad Alban (Michigan State)   8   2   0   90
  2   Marty Turco (Michigan)        2   7   1   57
 HM   Trevor Prior (Miami)          1   *   *   28
      Jeff Maund (Ohio State)       0   *   *   12

Comments: Maund got hosed.

General notes: Points are 10 for a first team vote, 5 for a
second team vote and 2 for a third team vote.  Coaches
may not vote for their own players...hence, it's possible to
be named on ten ballots (100 possible points).  I've used
* to indicate multiple solutions to receiving the said number
of points.  To get the exact voting totals, you'll have to
contact the CCHA office.

I'm thrilled that four Wolverines were honored.  Muckalt
and Turco were a given.  Hayes and Berenzweig are
very deserving as well.  Next year I'll try not to be so
conservative with my placement of the maize and blue.
(I gave Hayes HM and lobbied for Bubba as a possibility.)

I still think that Alban will receive CCHA Player of the Year,
but Muckalt being the only unanimous selection raises some
doubt.  Of course, this just means that two coaches felt that
another goaltender had a better year than Alban, not that
they felt that Muckalt had a better year than Alban.  Frankly,
I'm surprised that Alban wasn't a unanimous selection as
well.  (Who voted for Prior?)

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])
What happened to all of the folks whining that Miami doesn't
get enough respect?