Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 15:48:55 -0600
> Ryan Kraft is questionable after being tackled to the ice in front of the
> linesman and referee.  From the StarTribune:
>         'The only negative news for the Gophers came when senior
>         Ryan Kraft suffered a concussion and cut lip at the hands
>         of UMD's Jeff Scissons. Four-and-a-half minutes into the game,
>         Kraft was tackled from behind by Scissons, who had scored
>         four goals Friday. Kraft -- whose head hit the ice after his
>         helmet flew off -- was motionless, face down on the ice, for
>         five minutes before being helped to his feet. His status for
>         today's game was uncertain late Saturday night.'
>
> No penalty was called!  (however, shortly after that Mike Schmitt called 2
> penalties within a minute of each other.  Trying to makeup for the
> non-call?)

Ken Dzikowski was the make-up call.  Mike Schmitt gave him 2 minutes for
slashing when his real offense was "Being on the ice 30 seconds (game time, of
course, considering that it took 10-15 minutes to get Kraft off the ice) after
I should have called something else.

> Also, a bit later, Leimbek of the gophers was cross-checked from behind
> into the boards.  However, only a 2-minute cross-checking penalty was
> called.

This should very obviously have been a five minute call, since Leimbeck went
into the boards head first.  But before my fellow Gopher fans get to upset,
they should remember that Mike Anderson got away with exactly the same thing on
Friday night.  Put simply, the officials (still) refuse to call this penalty in
the way that the NCAA keeps insisting is a point of emphasis.  Either officials
need to be fired, or the NCAA needs to stop lying to us.

J. Michael Neal