From:
"Brett C. Harvey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett C. Harvey
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:31:35 -0600
Greenie wrote:

>In the light of reading about the Cornell-RPI game, I'm curious as to the
>reactions of the coaches of both teams. Thank god we don't have a Bobby
>Knight in college hockey... or do we?
>
>So who in hockeyland has the best "Coach vs Officials" quotes?

Funny that you mention Bobby Knight.  Here's a quote out of the StarTribune
from Doug Woog after last nights game with UM-Duluth.
        'Woog's displeasure with the officials continued for
        the second night in a row. Asked about their performance,
        he replied: "That's a no comment. That's the safest way,
        the cheapest way. I don't have the funds that Bobby Knight has."'

Ryan Kraft is questionable after being tackled to the ice in front of the
linesman and referee.  From the StarTribune:
        'The only negative news for the Gophers came when senior
        Ryan Kraft suffered a concussion and cut lip at the hands
        of UMD's Jeff Scissons. Four-and-a-half minutes into the game,
        Kraft was tackled from behind by Scissons, who had scored
        four goals Friday. Kraft -- whose head hit the ice after his
        helmet flew off -- was motionless, face down on the ice, for
        five minutes before being helped to his feet. His status for
        today's game was uncertain late Saturday night.'

No penalty was called!  (however, shortly after that Mike Schmitt called 2
penalties within a minute of each other.  Trying to makeup for the
non-call?)

Also, a bit later, Leimbek of the gophers was cross-checked from behind
into the boards.  However, only a 2-minute cross-checking penalty was
called.

A WCHA records for penalties and penalty minutes were established with
Sixty-nine penalties for 213 minutes were assessed, with 145 minutes handed
out after a brawl took place with one minute, 25 seconds left.

Although Woog couldn't comment on the officials, he did state that Mike
Schmitt and crew will NOT be referring the 3rd game tonight.   When pressed
if that was at his request, Woog wouldn't comment.

Neither Woog nor UMD's coach (Stertich (sp?) were happy with the crew after
Friday nights game and it didn't get any better Saturday night.  Greg
Sheppard was in attendance Friday night but I don't know about Saturday
night.

It will be interesting to see if a new officiating crew will control the
game any better this evening.

Brett