From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:13:09 -0500
The Big Red of Cornell visit the Big Red of RPI
in Troy this weekend for one of the more interesting ECAC
matchups. Both teams have their advantages and disadvantages.
RPI's explosive offense matches up against Cornell's
stingy defense. Cornell's lacklustre offense matches up
against RPI's inconsistent defense.

With Cornell's travelling band of rowdys (band included),
and RPI's student body on spring break, Cornell will effectively
nullify RPI's home crowd advantage. Neither crowd will be
able to drown out the other's Let's Go Red cheer.
RPI's pep-band will probably be a skeleton crew (that's
a plus for RPI fans).

The hockey adage is that defense prevails in the playoffs.
On the other hand, RPI does own 2 victories over Cornell
this year.  If this were a single game elimination, I'd
probably pick Cornell since their defense could probably
stymie RPI's offense in a single game. But in a 3 game series,
I think RPI has the edge. I'm glad that we get to face Cornell
in the quarterfinals, they would much tougher in a single game
elimination.

I don't think that Jason Elliot returning will have much effect
on the outcome since RPI faced him earlier this year and handled
him well.
I also don't think this series is a gimme.
I predict an RPI victory in 3 games and the third game will
be a low scoring, hard, hitting game; perhaps overtime.
But, I wouldn't put money on it; it will be that close.

And the team that wins,(which ever team wins) will need
the full week to rest because no-one will be able to
coast this week-end.
Mark Lewin
RPI - class of '69