From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 20:03:21 -0500
On Sat, 7 Mar 1998 11:02:54 -0700 Charlie Shub wrote:

> One team, already a man down, got two more penalties.  The third penalty
> did not show on the scoreboard.  The third penalty did appear after the
> first one ended.  The scoreboard certainly looks like it can display 3 (or
> more) penalties simultaneously.  Incidentally, the boxkeeper let the first
> player out in error (possibly because the third penalty wasn't on the
> board) resulting in a center ice faceoff but no too many men call.

Something similar to this occurred in the 1978 NCAA semifinals between BU and
Wisconsin.  The Badgers had three men in the box with unsynchronized penalties.
The Providence Civic Center scoreboard could only post two of them.  When the
first penalty expired, the Wisconsin player jumped out of the box and onto the
ice.  I was screaming too many men, and the officials actually heard me.
Instead of imposing an additional penalty, a center ice faceoff was called.
Ever since then (can it really be 20 years ago and was I really 19 years old at
the time?), I have always kept a close tab of multiple unsynchronized
penalties.  With the matching penalty rule, you don't see them very often.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller