From:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:29:35 -0500
>Neither of the penalties called at that stoppage were for unsportsmanlike
>conduct or anything of the sort.  I believe they were a cross-check and a
>trip.  Additionally, neither of the penalties were called on the Clarkson
>player, Mitchell I believe, who (and it sure looked intentional from where
>I was sitting) sent the puck into the Cornell bench.
>
>-Josh Herman
>Cornell '99

That is correct.  The Clarkson player responsible for the incident,
Mitchell (#8), was not penalized in any way for his shot into the Cornell
bench.  It most certainly appeared that Mitchell took advantage of the fact
that all three officials were at the opposite end of the ice and not facing
in his direction to shoot the puck into the visiting bench area.  Clarkson
apparently had two penalties already coming on the delayed call, something
that happenned to Cornell later in the game as well.  In fact, the
offending player was on the ice for the ensuing face-off.  I am hoping that
the league will come out with some sort of disciplinary action for the
severely unsportsmanlike behavior that resulted in an extremely scary
situation.  It would appear that the TV cameras did not get it on tape, but
I'm holding out hope that someone did, and that the tape can be sent to the
league office.  This was a dispicable action, and if nothing is done about
it, I will be most upset.

Larry Weintraub '98,
Cornell University
Let's Go BIG RED!!!!!

Quote of the Semester:
        "They wear their hearts on their sleeves here at Cornell...and also
their faces."

        -- TV Announcers at the Cornell-Colgate game,
           while the camera was in a close-up on my painted face.