From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:10:24 -0500
Paul Gentile writes:

>I wonder if Lowell realizes they can sell beer at
>Riverhawk games. The arena is on land that borders
>the campus but the land as well as the rink is
>owned by the city. I was talking to some guys
>involved in the management of the arena and they
>said the reason for the ban on beer was that it
>was banned at all NCAA events. They cited UNH as
>an example of ways to get around it. From what
>they said, beer is served in the adjacent building
>to the rink ... the "student center"?. One can buy
>and drink a beer just outside some doors to the
>rink but can not bring the beer back into the
>rink. I'm not sure how true that is. You don't
>need a tciket for readmission so technically,
>you're drinking beer while attending the event. It
>just so happens that UNH uses the seperate
>buildings quite conveniently.

This is not true at all.  There is no "student center" adjacent to the rink
where beer is sold.  And, once you leave, you can't get back in.  The only
place inside the Whittemore Center that serves alcohol is the reception
area behind the luxury boxes at one end of the arena,  During games the
only people who are allowed access to this area are people holding luxury
box tickets.  In addition, the Friends of UNH Hockey has access to this
area for several post game receptions per year but these are only open to
members.

My experience has been that most rinks in Hockey East, BC, Providence,
Northeastern and Maine come to mind, serve beer within the arena, but only
if you are member or guest of their booster club.

BU is the exception to this, they are the only team in HE that sells at
concession stands.  My understanding is that BU was allowed to sell beer
under a "grandfather clause".  Apparently when the school, in the late
'50's, took over Braves Field where the Boston (future Milwaukee, now
Atlanta) Braves played, they were allowed to hold onto the liquor license
that went with the ballpark.  I'm not sure if this 100% accurate, perhaps
Ed Moller could fill us in.  Anyway, I've always thought it curious that
the world's greatest moralist - BU (former) President John Silber would
allow such a debasing of an institution of higher learning.

BTW Ed,  I know that the don't play football but, do Cambridge and Oxford
have hockey teams?

Greg Ambrose