From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:51:56 -0500
It is still unknown if UNO will be allowed to play in the WCHA in the
1999-2000 season. Nearly everyone agrees UNO will be allowed into the WCHA
by the 2000-2001 season, but some don't think UNO should be let in one year
early, particularly St. Cloud State and Alaska-Anchorage. Wisconsin coach
Jeff Sauer said 2 things will help UNO in speeding up the process. 1,
Attendance- the sold out Civic Auditorium is one thing the WCHA heads cannot
overlook no matter what. And the other thing that could speed up UNO's
admittance? Michigan Tech leaving for the CCHA. So Nebraskans may have
another fight with Michiganites if they tick us off again after that
football season. :-)

This may arguably be UNO's biggest series of the season coming up. Coach
Mike Kemp's UNO Mavericks play Jeff Saurer's Wisconsin Badgers. Kemp was an
assistant coach at Wisconsin for 15 years til he joined up with the
Mavericks. It's student meets mentor.

The UNO-Wisconsin series is a home and home. They play at Wisconsin Friday
night then head home to the friendly confines of the Civic Auditorium for a
Sunday matineee in front of 8,000+ fans. This will be our last home game
versus an alligned division I team. Only games remaining against alligned
Div. I teams that I can think of will be the 2 game set at the U of Maine.

more tomorrow,

Ben F.
U!N!O! U!N!O!