From:
Larry0405 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry0405 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 17:27:35 EST
I believe that there is a certain hypocrisy in the idea that the Ivies want to
put athletics on a different plane than the non- Ivy ECAC teams- Perhaps the
Ivys are unaware that BU's pres. Silber has decided that BU like its academic
sisters (U. of London- no not the one in Ontario; and U. of Paris) does not
need a football team and clearly those kind of academic credentials should be
good enough for anyone.

The ideal solution would be for Columbia & Penn to play D1 hockey and of
course have women's teams and then the schools that want to play a full slate
of games like UVM could go to Hockey East which then could divide into 2
divisions- let's get real creative- an Empire Division with Syracuse &
Niagara.

For those of you who think any posting from me would not be complete without
some reference to the great democracy on the other side of the 49th parallel-

I find it amusing that the Major Junior Leagues limit each team to a maximum
of 3 Europeans. When I suggest our colleges limit foreign hockey players on
scholarship as a way of developing more American hockey players- I get all
kinds of learned discourse from my friends on Hockey-L.  Maybe the real answer
is to get the Canadian colleges to join the NCAA? Well when the Quebecois
finally get their freedom we shall see who is left.