From:
James Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:54:01 -0500
 or do you think the 15 power play chances had anything to do with the
Gopher's inspired
>play?  When a team has a man advantage(or two) for half the game I should
>certainly hope they play well.

I was at the game and I had not seen anything like it since Wisconsin was
robbed at the NCAA finals against Lake Superior State.  After the first
period penalties were at 6-1 gophers, after two periods it was 12- 2. There
were three 5 on 3s in favor of the gophers. Let me first say that I DON"T
FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH THIS TYPE OF OFFICIATING. I wish it would occur
more often.  If this would have occured anywhere in N. Michigan it would
have been called something along the lines of being "bush league".
Watching the game, it was no where near apparent the disparity in play or
penalties.  The gophers are as everyone knows the league leaders in penalty
minutes.

What I don't understand is when the league leader in penalties, this or any
other year goes against teams with the fewest penalty minutes, many times
the games are called against the "historically" more passive teams.
Perhaps they haven't had many opportunities to disguise their actions.  By
the way, the Bulldogs are no angels in this department.

My feeling is that one of the reasons the gophers don't do as well in post
season play is that they are not given the types of opportunities they
sometimes are granted playing in the WCHA.

It would be nice to think that the gopher win was due entirely to inspired play.

Jim Evans
Arlington H.S.
http://www.stpaul.k12.mn.us/lep/lep.html