From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 23:18:54 -0400
I'm doing some research for the Merrimack media guide next year which will
involve adding to the guide year by year Merrimack results for as far back
as we can go.  I think we can go back at least to the early 60s.  But, I've
come upon a strange situation that I was hoping someone could provide some
additional information about.

I have the 1984-85 results from the 1985-86 Merrimack guide.  I've noticed
at least two games that were apparently played but aren't listed.
Merrimack's listings show no games between 12/9/84 and 1/5/85.  But in the
1995-96 Yale media guide, I found the following:

  First Interstate Classic II @ Anchorage, AK
  12/28/84 Yale 10, Merrimack 1
  12/29/84 Yale 6, Alaska-Anchorage 4
  12/30/84 Yale 5, Alberta 4 (ot)

And in the 1991-92 UAA guide, I found (no dates):

  First Interstate Classic
  Alaska-Anchorage 8, Merrimack 2
  Yale 6, Alaska-Anchorage 4
  Calgary 7, Alaska-Anchorage 3

The 1985-86 Merrimack guide doesn't list either of the Yale or UAA games.
Compounding the problem is that by 1991-92, both Merrimack and UAA's guides
had the all-time series at 2-2-0, which could only have been the case if
the 1984 game was counted since 3 other games were played between 1984-85
and 1991-92.  But the 1985-86 guide, which has the all-time records against
each opponent, does not include UAA.

Right now, I'm not sure why Merrimack doesn't show the tourney in its
results.  Their record that year is listed at 17-13-3 and this matches up
with the results that they do list.  So it looks like Yale and UAA counted
the results in their records but Merrimack did not.  Also strange is that
Merrimack played two other games in Alaska that year, a split at UAF on
11/20-21/84, and these games *are* listed and counted in the record.

I'm going to be checking this with Ron Anderson and some other people at
Merrimack, but I also wanted to see if anyone out there, possibly from UAA,
had anything they could add to help me out.  Thanks in advance...

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93