Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:06:33 -0600
Lately it seems that there has been increasingly excessive flak directed
towards college athletes that leave school early, both in the press and
here on hockey-L.

The simple fact that everyone here seems to overlook is that students
attend college for one purpose: to further their education in LIFE. For
many college athletes, this means an opportunity to show their stuff in
hopes of making the professional ranks; for many students, this means an
opportunity to show their stuff in hopes of getting a satisfying job upon
graduation; for others, it means a chance to party, drink beer, and get
laid for four years.

As many scholars have noted, "your college experience is entirely what
*you* make of it."

Were Jay Pandolfo and Brian Holzinger (among many, many others) "wrong" to
leave school 2 months before graduation? Who the hell are we to judge?

Both Brian and Jay, along with thousands of other kids across North America
shared a common dream:  to play professional hockey. This dream lasted
their entire lives, and superseeded any wants or desires that ever propped
up. With this in mind, it should not be shocking at all that they made the
decision to leave school. Rather, they should be respected and admired for
having the determination and skill to achieve their life's dream.

While at Boston University, I double-majored in Fine Arts and Advertising.
During my summers I freelanced full-time for various ad agencies in Boston,
and during the year worked for a non-profit agency. During my junior year I
was offered a dream job at one of the larger agencies in the city. They
cared nothing about my education, only that I had the raw talent and desire
to succeed in the advertising business (sound familiar?)

Now, 5 years later, I'm living in the best place on earth (Boulder,
Colorado), am settled into the management level at the best company I've
ever worked for, and at age 25 am making more money than I (or my
professors at BU) ever thought I would make. Nobody I work with even ASKS
about my education.

Here's a question: A kid grows up in Iowa. Decides to leave high school so
that he can take over his father's farm. Should we criticize this kid
because he decides to grow corn rather than learn European History or
Calculus?

I commened Pandolfo and Holzinger and others (Amonte!) for making the
decision to leave college so that they could do what many poor saps on this
planet cannot -- ENJOY LIFE.

If Pandolfo decides to finish school this summer, then I will be
additionally proud of him for not "resting" on his hockey laurels. However,
Jay's got his entire life ahead of him. If he decides to take this summer
off to enjoy his newfound fortune, more power to him.

Too many people criticze college athletes for leaving school early,
claiming that if these kids don't make it in the professional leagues,
they're stuck. RUBBISH. If you've been accepted into college once, then
you'll get accepted again. Who's to say that Eric Lindros or Kevin Garnett
(basketball) won't decide to go to college after they retire from pro
sports? Nothing's stopping them.

Jason Greene

ps: It's a real shame that so many people today judge success based on a
piece of paper -- be it a college degree, a paycheck, or an award.