From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 22:40:51 -0500
At 06:39 PM 1/8/96 EST, you wrote:
>Since Maine cant do much in the area of recruiting for a while, I was wondering
>if there were any incoming players already committed to Maine ?

Maine already had one goalie sign I believe before the self-imposed sanctions.

>It seems that the success of next year's team will weigh heavily on the team's
>ability to replace Allison and Marsh.

Perhaps not.  The NCAA will decide this week or next at their winter meeting
whether or not to relax some of the restrictions on the eligibilty of older
players (20 or 21 as freshmen).  The idea on the table, which I don't have
the specifics on, would give Blair Allison (and perhaps Marsh), along with
another Maine player, Reg Cardinal, along with many other across the
country, another year of NCAA eligibilty.  Because of Allison's age this is
only his third year, and he's a senior, like Cardinal.

For a change, the NCAA might make a decision that would benefit Maine.  :-)

BTW: this information is from the Portland Press Herald and Maine AD Sue Tyler.
Deron Treadwell                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine                                        Phone: (207) 581-6683
UMaine Hockey on the web:  http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
          "Battles are fought with weapons, but men win wars."