From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 19:19:34 -0500
At 05:02 PM 12/10/95 -0100, Mike Machnik wrote:

>Looking at the way the season has gone, it's difficult to think of this team
>as a last place team in the way that most last place teams are considered
>(i.e., UMass last year, Merrimack in their early HE years).  They're better
>than that, but they have not shown it in the win column.  Playing a good
>team often makes you better, and Merrimack was better this weekend vs BU for
>having played Maine the week before.  They just weren't good enough.

To elaborate on Mike's point.. I think this is the first time in recent
years where Hockey East is truley competitive from top to bottom.  Before I
go too far, let me make it clear that this post is in reference to Hockey
East, and not the nation.  This isn't a "HOCKEY EAST is better than everyone
else" post, so please do not flame me.

Mike and I have discussed this for a couple weeks, and it's becoming more
obvious each week that top to bottom Hockey East is very competitive this
year. We've played half a season practically, and not much is determined.
The only sizable gap is between 4th place UML at 28 pts, and 5th place UNH
at 20 pts.  (Maine and Lowell are seperated by 9 pts for 3rd and 4th but UML
has two games in hand).

Certainly people like Mike around the Merrimack camp are somewhat
disappointed about the play of the team, but the "improved" play of other
teams is having a significant effect as well.  For instance, who expected
that UMass would have a winning record at the break, and even though they
are in 8th place in the league at 3-5-0, they have four games in hand over
9th place Merrimack and two games in hand with the three teams directly
ahead of them.  They are only a game behind #5 UNH, coupled with those games
in hand, sets up very well for the Minutemen.

What about UMass-Lowell?  Certainly Greg Bullock was an offensive presence
(when he wanted to be) and no one expected with him leaving that UML would
be doing as well as they are.  Lowell has a firm grasp at this point on the
#4 spot in Hockey East, with a shot at moving higher with two games in hand
over #3 Maine and one over #2 Providence.  UML is getting scoring from all
over, and when they play disiplined hockey can give anyone a battle.  Both
UML and UMA have played toe to toe with #6 in the nation Vermont, UMA losing
in OT, UML 2-1.

We can't forget about Providence.  This is the team that ran over eventual
runner-up Maine 7-3 in the Hockey East Tourney last year, and played a great
game against eventual National Champ BU only to lose by one goal.  Most
people thought that perhaps their late run was a fluke.  Paul Pooley's team
has a 9-3-2 record overall, but even more impressive is their 7-1-2
conference record.  Good for second place in Hockey East.  They were thought
of no higher than 6th coming into the year.

One could also contend that UNH (6-8-2, 3-5-2 in HE) and Northeastern
(3-8-2, 2-6-2 in HE) are better than their respective records.  UNH (like
Merrimack) has to be disappointed with their play at the break.  UNH was
picked 3rd in the league, NU 4th.

That all said, Mike is right when he says that he doesn't look at Merrimack
as the "typical" last place team.  To this point, Hockey East is full of
surprises. What should not be a surprise as we enter the second half of the
season is that there are no "gimme" games for teams in the league unlike
years past.  Every weekend will be a battle, more so than in recent years
perhaps.  Certainly in many respects the league is still wide open halfway
through the year.
---
Deron [log in to unmask]

--> University of Maine Hockey (13-3-3)
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
--> Owner/GM:  Maine Mariners (EHH Fantasy League)