From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert L. Dunn
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 10:00:00 -0500
On Thu, 30 Mar 1995, Virginia Adams wrote:

> There was a story on the CNN news last night about Zamboni pollution. The
> reporter was Joan McFarlane. She stated that in July 1993 50 students were
> overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from a Zamboni. Levels of carbon monoxide
> found were 10 times higher than federal guidelines. The problem results from
> operating a combustible engine in an enclosed area.
>
> The University of Michigan conducted a study where they measured carbon
> monoxide levels before and after the Zamboni was used. Levels rose from
> 2 parts per million to 76 parts per million. Also it was found that in
> Detroit two thirds of the ice arenas had high carbon monoxide levels.

Since it was us that helped CNN on this report, let me clarify a few
things.  First, the 2 ppm to 76 ppm readings were not part of any
"study".  They were just some sample readings that were put together to
help CNN show the potential air quality hazards.  We ran the
propane ice resurfacer at least twice as long as any normal resurfacing
in order to achieve a high peak reading (and give their cameraman more
footage).  Yost as been closed for the last week, with only Michigan
hockey using the ice for at most 2 hours a day.  Since they left two days
ago for Providence, there hasn't been a need to resurface the ice (we're
slowly removing it as we have some minor needs for the ice over the
weekend).  Once again, these readings were "produced" to match the
findings of some of our earlier studies (including the study we did in
conjunction with the Detroit News on the area arenas).

The other thing to keep in mind is that the federal standards (OSHA) are
for 8 hour time weighted averages, meaning that OSHA considers it to be a
serious problem if the air quality readings have an average over 50 ppm
for carbon monoxide for an 8 hour duration.  As for the Detroit
study that found two-thirds of the arenas with high CO levels, these
arenas were measured against the Michigan OSHA standard of 35 ppm.  Only
17 of 44 arenas (when did that become two-thirds?) registered a PEAK reading
over 35 ppm, with five arenas having their time weighted averages exceed
this guideline.

Regardless of minor points, the important thing is that there is the
potential for a very dangerous situation.  Ideally, every arena would
have state of the art air handling and electric resurfacers, but then
that would be a very rich world.  Still, all arenas should be aware of
the potential danger and take the necessary steps, such as making sure
their resurfacers are tuned properly and frequently, opening doors and
fans when running the machines for long periods of time, avoid excessive
engine running, constantly montior the air levels, and prepare for the
purchase of new and cleaner running equipment.

> In the Joe Louis Arena they replenish the air 100% every 4 minutes.

Maybe when CNN is there, but the earlier Detroit News study found JLA to
have moderatley high readings of 21 ppm of CO.  Still, you expect the
larger arenas to have better air handling systems.  However, JLA did hit
the OSHA standard of 0.5 ppm of nitrogen dioxide, the second dangerous
gas that the CNN report (and others) tend to ignore.

FYI, Minnesota and Rhode Island do have state laws governing ice arena
air quality.  To add hockey content, the Final Four in Providence should
be complying with all necessary safe air quality levels.

---
Robb Dunn                                          |GO BEARS!
The University of Michigan                         [log in to unmask]
Division of Kinesiology/Department of Athletics    |W: 313-764-9429
Sport Facilities Research Laboratory               |   313-764-4597 FAX