From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 20:38:21 -0500
Saturday, January 28, 1995
Achilles Rink, Schenectady, NY
ECAC League Game

Vermont  0 0 1 0 - 1
Union    0 0 1 0 - 1

Scoring:
1st Period:
none

2nd Period:
none

3rd Period:
1) Vermont, Ducharme 10 (Lincoln) 3:09
2) Union, Craig Reckin 2 (Antoine) 12:33

Overtime:
none

Shots on goal: Vermont 4-9-10-1--24, Union 10-16-13-1--40.

Power play: Vermont 0 of 4, Union 0 of 6.

Goalies: Vermont, Tim Thomas, 10-9-2 (40 shots, 39 saves)
         Union, Trevor Koenig, 4-3-1 (24 shots, 23 saves)

Attendace: 2179

Union and Vermont played to a 1-1 tie Saturday night at Achilles Rink.
The big story has got to be the outstanding play of Vermont goalie Tim
Thomas.  He stopped 39 of 40 shots in the game, and covered up
anything that came even close to his crease.

After 2 scoreless periods in which Union consistently had the better
chances, Vermont finally took a 1-0 lead on a goal credited to Dom
Ducharme.  It was a flukey goal - it looked like a centering pass that
was going to pass harmlessly through the crease, but it deflected off
the skate of Union goalie Trevor Koenig and into the net.  Things did
not look good for Union, down by a goal and once again facing a red
hot goaltender.  It was some good work by Union's fourth line that got
the Dutchmen on the board with the tying goal.  After battling their
way into the zone, occasional starter Jamie Antoine hit Craig Reckin
with a nice pass out in front and Reckin put a backhand shot past
Thomas.  Thomas went right back to work, though, and continued to stop
some excellent shots by the Dutchmen, right through the end of the
third and through the overtime.

Overall, this a very good effort by Union.  If not for the outstanding
play of Thomas, it could have easily been a win for Union.  Both
coaches agreed that aside from Thomas, Union dominated the game.

In a rare move by Coach Delventhal, Koenig started both weekend games
for Union.  It was especially surprising since Koenig was not
especially sharp in the third period on Friday night.  I can't
remember the last time the same goalie played 2 games in the same
weekend.  Union also has to be happy with the play of the third and
fourth lines this weekend.  They combined for 3 goals on Friday, and
scored the only goal in this game.  The power play was not as
impressive, despite some very good shifts in this game, and they were
0 for 9 on the weekend.  On the positive side, the Dutchmen killed all
8 shorthanded situations on the weekend.

Union now stands at 3-6-3 and (I think) 9th place in the ECAC.  Their
overall record is now 6-9-3.  The Dutchmen will be on the road for
their next four games with the North Country trip next weekend and
rematches at Vermont and Dartmouth the following weekend.

| This report and much more information on Union Hockey including schedules,|
| rosters, team photos, and game reports can be found on the World Wide Web |
| at URL http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/hockey/hockey.html               |
--
Jim Teresco, Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science, SCOREC
E-mail: [log in to unmask], WWW: http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/