Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:20:37 -0600
BU fans would rather have a win over BC than any other team--take my
word for it. I remember no team I was more afraid of than BC, but
since those were the days of Emma and LeGrand, I guess that is to be
expected.

It seems to me Ferris State has to get consideration as the most
inconsistent team of the year to this point. They have won games
against teams as tough as Michigan, and then have lost to some bottom
ranked CCHA teams. Can anyone explain this flip-flopping effect? Is
there any way to tell which team will show up?

I have trouble ranking a team like Maine, with so many ties, #1.
Although, with no losses, I have trouble NOT ranking them #1. For
those who didn't read my Minnesota rant, Minnesota has not lost a
game by more than a goal all season long, and with just a couple of
fortuitous bounces, Minnesota could also have an unbeaten record
(although the fact that they don't speaks volumes). Hockey is a game
of luck as well as skill, and Minnesota can attest to the fact that
luck runs out eventually. The same thing may be true for Maine--that
having so many ties will cost them eventually. But then again, maybe
not.

Michigan looks to be a real powerhouse in the CCHA. Not only do they
have an explosive offense, but for the most part, it is generated
primarily by their freshmen and sophomores. I can only see this team
improving and improving, with little letdown in sight.

Does ANYONE have any idea of trends in the ECAC? Brown is on top, but
it seems they may not stay that way. RPI and Harvard seem to be
struggling (witness recent games against Army and Princeton, and
Harvard and UNH, respectively). Vermont was picked early on to be
tough, but is also having current problems, with UMD and BU. Id
Clarkson the cream of the crop?

And what the heck is up with UNH? They are tied for second in Hockey
East, despite the fact that they are playing all their games with no
real "home". Very impressive; in fact more impressive to me that
Northeastern, who seems to be struggling. UNH seems to have quietly
come on strong. Offense and defense looks real good, and a 10-3-2
overall record is very impressive.

Games to look out for before the tournaments:

Maine  vs. St. Cloud State

SCSU has started putting things together after their disappointing
start to the season. Their last four games include three wins,
including a 8-4 drubbing of Wisconsin, and a sweep of UMD. They look
more and more like the team picked to be #1 in the WCHA preseason
poll. The fact that their overall record is at .500 is impressive
after the lackluster beginning. If Maine underestimates them as a
team in the bottom half of the WCHA, I look for a split this weekend
in Orono, and a BIG win for SCSU.

Colorado College vs. Minnesota

It is still fairly early in the season, but this two game series
could very well set the trends that decide the eventual outcome in
the WCHA. If Colorado College sweeps, they establish such a
tremendous lead on everyone else in the conference that they are all
but assured a top spot finish. If Minnesota sweeps, they are but one
point behind CC, and in second place. A split leaves things still up
in the air, and has to be considered fortunate for both teams. By the
way, CC and Minnesota have these two games in hand on all the rest of
the WCHA teams (and even one more game against UMD and Wisconsin).

                                                Lee-nerd

"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent." --Isaac Asimov