From:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:21:08 -0500
On Tue, 13 Dec 1994, Mike Machnik wrote:

> I also found it interesting that several of the players' parents, as
> well as Heather, said that they had headaches both nights after being
> in the building and we could only come up with two things to explain
> it: fumes from the Zamboni (I doubt it), or the intensely bright
> lights that hang overhead.
> ---                                                                   ---
This isn't as bizarre as you might think.  There have been cases of
poisonings in indoor ice arenas from carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide
in the Zamboni exhausts, according to an article in the _Journal of
Environmental Health_.  It cited a case from 1989 of at least 40 people
in a Vermont ice arena being poisoned from carbon monoxide.  The study
for this article  measured the carbon monoxide level at enclosed ice
arenas in Vermont during high school hockey games.  The authors concluded
that, "a significant portion of the arenas had undesirable levels of
carbon monoxide or nitrogen dioxide."  In fact, they said that the
concern was greatest for the players because you absorb carbon monoxide
faster when you exercise.  In one arena the levels
of carbon monoxide were high enough that they had the potential of
causing clinical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, although none
were reported.

If you're interested in the article, it's "A Survey of Carbon Monoxide
and Nitrogen Dioxide in Indoor Ice Arenas in Vermont," by Leonard J.
Paulozzi, Robert F. Spengler, Richard L. Vogt, and Jan K. Carney.
 _Journal of Environmental Health_, v. 56, no. 5 (December 1993): 23-25.

Carol