From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 11:19:42 EST
I watched the Denver Minnesota game last night on MWSC. A couple of
things really struck me about Minnesota.

First, Minnesota has one of the most skillful teams that I know of
in college hoockey. Their passes are sharp and their skating is
flawless. Crowley, Bonin and Fiebelkorn should be on everbody's
All American list.

Second, Minnesota is afraid to hit anyone. Minnesota's checking
is pitiful. Denver stayed in the game because Minnesota would not
stand up to Denver's rushes. Denver on the otherhand survived
Minnesota's skills by playing the player. Denver literally intimidated
Minnesota. Only in the the third period did Minnesota start
challenging Denver. When they did, they were able to score. Denver
was lucky to get out the game.

I think I know why Minnesota has been so strong in the third period.
They enter the third period behind and start thinking about playing
hockey rather than avoiding getting hurt (hurting the opponent?)
or taking penalties. Minnesota has terrific skills but they need to
start using them three periods rather than just one.

Watch out college hockey world: if Minnesota starts playing three
periods of hockey per game, forget the national championship: I don't
think anyone can match Minnesota's skills. They look better than
Team Gretzky. (An opinion from the wrong side of the glass.)

Walt Olson
MTU