Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 01:24:21 -0500
On Mon, 5 Dec 1994, John Kohlstrand wrote:

> bowling green has the league's leading goaltender in will clarke, and he
> didn't start against ferris state?
>
> what part of hockey don't i understand? if they wanted to give someone else
> some work, couldn't they have done this during the toronto exhibitions?
>
> perhaps someone could fill me in. i don't get The BG News or Sentinel-Tribune
> in Cleveland. all i saw was the box score.
>
> john kohlstrand.

Will Clarke has been having a phenomenal (sp?) year for BG this year, but
the reason he doesn't start every game is that BG also has Bob Petrie, who
was outstanding as a freshman last year and was on the all-freshman team
for the CCHA. Petrie got a majority of the minutes last year. We were
surprised here when new coach Buddy Powers used Clarke as much as Petrie
early this year, but now the numbers are showing him to be correct in his
decisions.  Actually, Clarke was a top goalie as a freshman, until he was
replaced by freshman Aaron Ellis, who left after his freshman year, which
allowed Petrie to win the starting job as a freshman last year.
Unfortunately for Petrie, the sophomore jinx seems to have hit him, which
will probably allow Clarke to start most games for a while.  Even besides
al of this, Petrie may have started the second game just to give Clarke a
rest after a tough road win the night before, or just to switch things up.

*   Jeff Bobay             **  Listen to Falcon Sports on BG's Sports   *
* 810 Fourth St. Apt 8.    **        Authority: 88.1 FM WBGU            *
*  Bowling Green, OH       **    Anyone know of a job for a sports      *
*[log in to unmask] **  broadcaster graduating in May? Please?   *