From:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Feldhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 13:12:56 EDT
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Phone: (502)852-5752; Fax: (502)852-6222

An interesting pre-season discussion and another opinion.

Mike has reviewed the requirements of Hobey winners: Character, integrity,
sportsmanship, scholastic achievement and outstanding college hockey skills.
These are commendable expectations and I'm not surprised there is no
correlation with predicting NHL success, nor do I think the Hobey should.

IMO, the requirements for success at each succeeding level of hockey are (1)
the quickness and speed at which each hockey skill is performed. (2)
strength/aggressiveness.(3) size. I believe (1) is far and away the most
important, (2) expected in the NHL and (3) a bonus. Years ago there were more
large aggressive goons with minimal skills, but more skillful "enforcers" like
McSorley seem to be the new prototype (thankfully!).

WRT quickness , I was sitting with my brother at a Bruins game last yr and he
noted that when Neely couldn't play, there was no other forward who could play
at the level of Oates and Juneau. When they were on the ice, it really was a
much higher level of hockey than even "normal" NHL players, skillful though
they may be.

Based on my limited scouting of Kariya 2 yrs ago, I'll be surprised if he is
not very successful in the NHL. At the college level, his skills seemed
Gretzky-like, but we are agreed that does not guarantee success. Additionally,
it is safe to say he won't be surrounded by the incredible talent Gretzky had
on those Edmonton teams. The skill limitations of his teammates may prevent
him from reaching his potential in the near future, but then again we might
not even have an NHL season.