Sender:
From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 1994 14:47:18 EST
>Why does Harvard have such a high ranking? I haven't had the chance towatch
>them play this year, but do the people who have seen them play think Hrvard
>is the 3rd best team in the nation?

Funny, I wrote the same thing on my poll picks this week.  I voted Harvard #3,
even though I don't think they're better than the teams I ranked lower.  The
problem is that this year we are seeing an exhibition of mediocrity with
no team (perhaps with the exception of Michigan) able to consistently win games
it "should" win.  At this point in time it is impossible to gauge which teams
will be included in the final 12, let alone the final 4.  I may rate Wisconsin
#13 this week, but I would also be willing to bet that they'll be in the
tournament.  RPI beat my #2 and 3 teams, (and lost to my #11 and 14),but more
than likely needs a strong ECAC tournament to get a bid.

My point is that this year the best you can do is try and guess how a given
team is playing at a given point in time.  Outside of Michigan, and probably
BU, a team's position in the poll has no correlation to their relative
strength.  The poll's are nothing but a pleasant diversion.  Anyone who gets
stressed out at his or her team's ranking should just pull the plug on their
PC, sit back and enjoy a good book.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris