Sender:
From:
Tim Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1993 09:39:57 EST
Now that I have been able to sort through 134 pieces of mail since
Thursay evening, I can finally reply to the list.  I am actually
shocked to see such a number of comments about PHOENIX, especially
since Ken Butler's KRACH recieved virtually none.  A few statements
in its defense...

I sincerely believe that as one person said, if a team is winning, then
it is only natural that its opponents are losing.  I thought about
discarding the games in which the team actually plays its opponents
for OpRec purposes, but having spoke to my statistics professor, I
found it wasn't all that necessary.  Someone said that a team with
a 0-2 record could be rated higher than a team with a better record.
Theoretically, this is true, but 1) the game's would have to have
been close and 2) this is virtually eliminated over time (more games
played).  Back to including the team's games in the opponent's record
OpRec, this advantage/disadvantage is virtually eliminated over time.
The additional programming required to keep track of every single game
just isn't worth it.  It would make very little, if any difference
later in the season.  This is one reason I waited until now to begin
posting this rating system (that, plus I wasn't finished programming
it until 2 or 3 weeks ago!)

Just give the system a chance.  I'm not saying it is the best system,
just an alternate way to look at things.  View it as you may.

Additional comments are welcome!  Thanx for the interest :-)

* Tim Harrison   *                        *
* R3TLH          *      GO TEAM USA!      *
* AkronVM        *                        *