Sender:
From:
"Michael C. Machnik" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1993 12:05:46 EDT
Wayne writes:
>HOCKEY-L history buffs should know that several years ago Mike Machnik
>started "College_Hockey" in part because r.s.h.  was dominated by NHL
>articles and had lots of junk.  A year or so later, due to Mike's
>impending graduation from Merrimack College, home of the College_Hockey
>list, he planned for a more permanent list home.

Just to keep the record straight...the original home of the list was
actually Apollo Computer in Chelmsford, MA; Apollo is now a part of
Hewlett Packard (and actually was at that time, too).  I never did figure
out how to run a mailing list out of Merrimack. :-)  The list's original
address was [log in to unmask]  At the time, I was on co-op at
Apollo and my contract was due to end (also the list had gotten too big
for Apollo's tiny connection to handle), so I sent out a 911 for someone
to take over, and fortunately Wayne responded.

The birthday of the list (the Apollo one) was something like September 5th,
1989.  That's when I set it up and sent the first test messages - Keith
and I were the only ones on it at that time.  In fact, the creation of
the list was the result of a number of discussions Keith and I had had
about doing something of this sort.  BTW, I still have the original test
messages from 9/89...they are also in the archives of the first year on
andy.bgsu.edu.

As Wayne said, it was sometime in April 1990 that the list made its way
to Maine.  We have just completed our third season of HOCKEY-L and fourth
season overall.  Thanks to all who have made it successful and interesting!

>Three years ago this
>month, hosting of the list moved to the University of Maine System's
>MAINE.MAINE.EDU.

And, this is also a good time for me to add my annual note of thanks to
Wayne for the great job he has done administrating the list...he has
taken the list to new heights I could not have imagined, and in fact we
have even seen two spin-off lists (at least) developed - hockey3 and
olympuck.  Kind of reminds me of when Happy Days spun off all those other
sitcoms in the 70s.  Anyway, I am very appreciative for the way he has
thanklessly labored behind the scenes to keep everything smooth and even
set up some additional ways to make HOCKEY-L more enjoyable for us.  So,
if you've also enjoyed being a part of HOCKEY-L either for a few months
or several years, I encourage you to send Wayne a note of appreciation to
let him know.  I don't think we should fail to let people know when we
appreciate things they do for us.

As well, I want to thank everyone who has been a part of HOCKEY-L, whether
as a poster or just a reader - I have enjoyed reading the comments from
people everywhere and communicating with you.  The participation is what
makes the list successful, and I don't think it is farfetched to say that
I learn more about what's going on in college hockey from the list than from
any single or combination of publications.

Lest this get to be like the Academy Awards, I'll wind down now...but
I just want to add my thanks to all who have expressed their kind wishes
to Heather and I on our engagement.  We have been very touched by that.
I don't know that I'll be as vocal next season as I have been in the past
with a wedding coming up in less than seven months, but I will still be
here through the off season and into next season.  However, I also feel that
whereas I and several others kind of carried the discussion early on, the
list has gradually reached the point where there is such a high level of
involvement that I haven't felt that need to carry it, and that is a tribute
both to Wayne and to everyone who has been a part.

Thanks again, all, and if you'll be unsubscribing for the summer, have
a good one and see you next fall!
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93