Sender:
From:
Matt Rein #3 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1993 16:16:36 -0600
Pam Sweeney writes in Re:  Another Broten/Broten/Erickson Line???:

> I know that another Cloquet player (besides Petrov) is going to UMD next
> year, but I don't remember, was it Novak?  If so, I suppose Langengbrunner
> is a good bet to follow next year.  They have some good individual players
> on that team.
>
> I haven't seen it posted yet, but the Minnesota Mr. Hockey award went to
> Nick Checco, a forward from (undefeated 2-time state champions) Bloomington
> Jefferson (refered to locally as the team from Bloomington that's not leaving
> and, arguably, as perhaps the best high school team ever in Minnesota).
>
> He had already committed to attend the University of Minnesota next year, along
> with a teammate whose name I don't have next to my computer, but I think
> it was Tim (?) LaFleur.  The Gophers also signed a defenseman from Tartan
> H.S. (in Oakdale, MN;  yes, it's near 3M HQ) named Abrahamson.
>
> Pam Sweeney
> Go Gophers!!!

I was gonna mention the Jefferson team but I thought they deserved their
own post.

Yes, Bloomington Jefferson is said to be the best team ever in the state.
What can you say?  I can't think of anything so I'll paraphrase out of an
article in the St. Paul paper a few days ago.

After beating the last of their contemporary opponents, Jefferson will have
to play the 1965 International Falls team, the 1974 Edina East team, the
1983 Hill-Murray team ant the 1987 Bloomington Kennedy teams in fake games
in fake arenas, over fish holes, and in the bars for years to come.

Jefferson finished 28-0, 50 in a row and undefeated in thier last 53.
Their JV team went 23-0 this year, their bantam team was rated #1 in the
state the last I heard, and their peewee team is number one also.

The 28-0 varsity team that just won the tourney was 54-1 three years ago
as bantams and finished second in the nation in some tourney.

Coach Tom Saterdalen received the John Mariucci coach of the year award,
seams pretty fair.

BTW, the Gophers have or have had the last 5 or 6 Mr. Hockey award winners.
Scott Bloom?, Larry Olimb, Trent Klatt, Darby Hendrickson, Brian Bonine, and
now Nick Checco.  Thats as far back as my memory goes.

--
- Matt Rein