Sender:
From:
Andy Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 18:41:38 -0500
I think the other main reason that Union & RPI has developed into a rivalry
is their
geographical proximity (about 13 miles separates Schenectady from Troy). I
also think
Union considers RPI as their arch-rival mainly because of how RPI usually
dominates
the headlines and sportscasts in the Albany area - not to mention how RPI
pretty much
beat up on Union during Union's first several years in Division I.

Having personally witnessed the Clarkson-SLU rivalry for 4 years (and
vicariously for
about 5-6 years before that), I say that it's easily the #1 rivalry in the
east. Fans - and
likely players - of both teams could suffer through some horrible seasons,
but if Clarkson
sweeps St. Lawrence or vice versa, then it was a successful year.   :)

As far as the country goes....it's hard to say for sure. The passion and
excitement I have
seen with Clarkson-SLU has yet to match any other rivalry discussed here -
that I have
seen. No - I haven't seen every one first hand, but given Clarkson's and
St. Lawrence's
proximity to each other and how they play each other just twice a year, I'd
have to agree
with Sara.  Sorry, Erik.    :(

-Andy