Sender:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1992 11:31:28 -0500
Mike writes:

> 1) I think the announcers were trying to explain why USA had pulled its
>   goalie to new viewers.  I am not aware of any rule wiping out a goal
>   had they put the puck in their own net.  Perhaps the explanation came
>   out a little garbled.

It didn't sound garbled to me.  I don't remember the exact wording, but
it was something along the lines of, "unlike in the NHL, if the
Italians put the net in their own empty net [on the delayed penalty],
the goal would not count."

It seemed pretty clear to me that they were trying to say that the goal
would be waved off.  Up to the broadcast, I had not heard of a rule
like this.  (It is possible that it came across as the announcers
meant, but that they were somehow mis-informed.)
--
Steve "Sluggo" Allen-Shinn
Brown '82    GO BRUINS!!!