Sender:
From:
"godzilla t. monster - the evil one!" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1992 20:18:00 EST
After having watched Mr. Haeussler flame on Bowling Green and Coach York for
the past several days, I feel compelled to make several comments in favor of
York and his program:

1.  Yes, they seem to have fallen on hard times as of late.  I recall with
chagrin every one of the fourteen games in the school record-setting losing
streak that the Falcons had last year.  However, that did not stop me, and
great number of other BG fans from attending those games.  That is what being a
fan of the game is all about.
        However, Bowling Green has not always performed this poorly.  If you
come down to the Ice Arena in BG, Mr. Haeussler, you will see the National
Championship Banner that has hung on the wall since 1984, when BG won at Lake
Placid in the longest game of NCAA Hockey

2.  In my experience of travelling to games throughout the CCHA, Bowling Green
fans are no better and no worse than any of the fans in the conference.  They
are certain no worse than any of the crowds I have witnessed in Yost Arena.

3.  Lastly, I have never, ever heard any one call into question the character
of Coach York, especially in light of the person whom he replaced, State's Ron
Mason.  A philosophy professor for whom I GA'd for told the following story of
how was pressed into serving as a youth hockey league coach.  The commissioner
of the league was a good friend of Dr. Goodwin's, and one day he asked Dr.
Goodwin if he would like to coach a team.  Dr. Goodwin asked "why me?  I don't
know that much about coaching."  The commissioner replied that the League
needed some benevolent coaches, because too many kids were being scared away
from the league because too many of the coaches were trying to be like Mason.
You will never hear such stories being told about Coach York.

David E. Bender
Valparaiso University, '87
University of Dayton, '89
Indiana University, '92

One further note:  After watching the IU club team play, I now know why
basketball is pushed so much down here!