Sender:
From:
"David F. Delchamps" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1992 16:36:22 EST
	In my hockey-watching experience, despite what the rules say
(which is that if a defending player last touches the puck en route to
the net, then the goal is awarded "sans aide" (unassisted) to the nearest
offensive player), it seems to me that hard shots that are deflected in
by defenders are scored as if they'd gone in cleanly, with the shooter
getting the goal, etc.  On the other hand, if a defenseman puts the puck
in his own net after having some kind of possession, then the nearest
offensive player gets the goal unassisted.

	Why do I think that's "fair?"  Well, having played a lot of
defense, and having put at least **two** such goals into my own net over
the years, I'd like to think that offensive players' harassment was an
important factor influencing the eventual outcomes.  Maximal harassment
usually comes from the nearest guy, so ...

					Dave Delchamps
					Cornell University
					Let's Go Red !!

P.S.  Yes, even in our weekend city league games here in Ithaca we have
official scorers!!