Sender:
From:
Russell Bergum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:25:30 -0500
>From:    "Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Woog Recruiting - Cullen

>> I think it's time to set the record straight about Matt Cullen.  Matt WAS
>> recruited by Doug Woog, but for personal reasons (i.e. his father's -
Terry
>> Cullen - ego) decided not to attend the U of MN.  It all centers around
>> Terry's comments to Woog about how Matt is going to be the next Gretzky,
Matt
>> should be the gophers' top scorer, etc. etc..  Instead of agreeing
>> wholheartedly with Terry, Woog simply said that Matt would be a good
addition
>> to the team.  This apparantly offended daddy Cullen.  When the letter
finally
>> came from the gophers, Cullen never opened it up.
>*************
>----Just curious as to where you got this information.  Sounds like a
> rumour made up by a disgruntled gopher fan mad at the fact Cullen chose St.
> Cloud?Sounds like a
> rumour made up by a disgruntled gopher fan mad at the fact Cullen chose St.
Cloud?

My sources are valid, and come from people personally associated with both
Terry Cullen and Doug Woog.  I cannot say any more without over-stepping my
bounds.  I felt that I could shed some light on the subject, as someone who
has come closer to the flame (in this instance) than you. I have quietly
observed childish discussions like this on HOCKEY-D (L) for many years, and
never responded.  However, in this case, I couldn’t hold my tongue any
longer.   I believe your anti-gopher bias may be blinding your judgment.

No, this is not a rumor started by a disgruntled Gopher fan....I consider
myself a Minnesota fan, meaning that I support MN bred players regardless of
what school they go to.  Growing up in northern MN, I was a UMD Bulldog
fan...they were the local team; my family was intimately involved in the
hockey program, and UMD had a number of local players on the team.  When I
went to the U of MN, I became more of a gopher fan.  However, one thing has
never changed....I always have been a fan of MN players, regardless of where
they play.  I tend to follow the kids from the northern part of the state,
because that’s where I’m from (as was Cullen before transferring from
Virginia, MN), and I’m familiar with the families, coaches, etc.  I think
it’s great that Matt Cullen and others are stand-outs at their schools!
 Although my main support goes to the Gophers, I can’t help but feel proud
when I go to a game (let’s say at UW Madison) and see Minnesota boys doing
most of the scoring for the Badgers.  I just wish hockey fans would try to
remember that we are dealing with kids, who are pressured by everyone else
to, “be loyal” and play for X or Y.  Isn’t that a bit selfish?   I keep
thinking about how the Duluth locals worshipped Spehar until he decided to
play for the Gophers.  Come on!  I think hockey fans should ask themselves
why they follow college hockey...to see their favorite team win, or to watch
the players mature and develop, and attain some level of greatness.  I prefer
the latter.

Russell Bergum