Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:30:25 -0400
At 10:07 PM -0500 2/4/97, Rick McAdoo wrote:
> I have a question about accounting for penalty minutes.  The numbers
> produced for the Beanpot games at the Fleet Center did not include any
> minutes for the various misconducts and disqualifications handed out,
> while most of the college game boxes I have seen do include these.
> They are usually assigned 10 minutes each, even for game DQ's, in those
> cases.  Is there any hard and fast rule, or does everyone do it
> differently?

Well, since the game involved two Hockey East teams, I presume the penalty
minutes were done the HE way.  Ins ome cases this differs from league to
league.

It would depend on whether the "misconducts" were 10 minute misconducts or
game misconducts.  A 10 minute misconduct is one penalty for 10 minutes
everywhere.  However, in HE, a game disqualification goes in the books as
one penalty for 0 minutes.  So does a game misconduct.

Is it possible that the "misconducts" were game misconducts and thus
counted as 0 minutes each?  I'd have to see the game summary to know.

BTW, in the CCHA at least, I believe that game disqualifications are
counted as one penalty for 10 minutes.  Same with game misconducts.  But if
I am wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.  And perhaps others will
know how this is recorded in the ECAC and WCHA.

It gets even more confusing when you have games between teams from
different conferences.  For example, in a CCHA-HE game, I am pretty sure
that regardless of what the box score says, the CCHA team will record the
penalties in their team statistics the CCHA way, while the HE team will do
it the HE way.

Just another example of how the rule book's ambiguity leads to differing
interpretations...

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****