Sender:
From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 22:40:08 -0600
Michael Smar wrote:
>** Reply to note from Matthew J Voss <[log in to unmask]>
>Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:13:53 -0600
>
>> rumors I heard had to deal with
>> Herb Brooks being interested in coaching the Gophers again.  It seems he
>> has aligned himself with John Gilbert(the Star Trib GopherHockey beat
>> writer) and is at odds with Woog and how he is running the program.
>> I think someone's imagination is running away with them.  Ol' Herbie
>> is not going to coach the Gophers.
>>

>Why's Herb interested in the Gophers and what's he done that makes
>him persona non grata?

I'm pretty sure he's not interested.  That's just some drivel brought up
periodically by the sports gossip columnists.*  (He was also rumored to
want the Gopher Women's job.)   Seems to me I read one of his periodic
denials of this while I was in Minnesota 10 days ago.

* I imagine a Twin Cities' sports gossip columnist's job objective looks
something like this:
        Start rumor about [insert name here] returning to the [insert name
of local team here].
The current rage is Lou Holtz returning to town, this time to coach the
Vikes, but they've gotta bring Herbie into the mix every now and then.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!