Sender:
From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:42:04 -0500
For the third consecutive weekend, Lowell wins on Friday and loses on
Saturday to a league opponent. Merrimack supplied the competition this
time. Mike Machnik has already supplied the recaps and box scores so I'll
just add my commentary.

Friday night - Lowell 6, Merrimack 3

Donovan played a great game. But, the player that really came through in
my eyes was Chris Libbett. In fact, Libbett looked good the whole
weekend. Now, I know I've said a few things about this kid's
performance over the the season so far, but that was only because I
saw talent being wasted during game play. This kid has always
impressed me during warmups and I can see definite skills that don't get
displayed during real games. Not the case this weekend! Two assists
Friday was only one indication of how well this defenseman played. A
transplanted forward playing inly his second year on the blue-line,
Libbett is progressing nicely as a solid force on the ice. Nice stick
handling while skating backwards and clearly assessing the go-to guy to
get the puck up ice is key to reversing the clearing attempts by any
opponent. I'd recoginize Libbett as my #2 star in this game.

   Also, Mike Nicholishen looked good on defense. Bertram wasn't as
solid as I expected and Hebert looked weak. Stone is unproven and I
don't see why Cappelletti continues to get solid ice time.

    It was nice to see Fillion back between the pipes. According to
Donovan, he was nervous as the game got going but eventually settled
down. He looked solid enough and the goals were clean. Merrimack's
forwards worked hard for all three. Fillion barely stood a chance on any
of them.

Saturday's game - Merrimack 6, Lowell 2

   Merrimack plays in an ice box. Brrrrr!!!! Despite the icy temp., it was an
enjoyable eveing amongst the Merrimack faithful.

   Merrimack looked real good. They looked fairly good Friday night.
Philbin's goal was real pretty!

   Looked like Lowell still had a shot in this one despite being outplayed.
Libbett's goal brought them to within one at 3-2 before the second period
ended. Merrimack's announcer is clearly biased. Libbett's goal
announcement was barely audible and clearly rushed before the Lowell
fans had stopped cheering. I walked down to the announcer's box to get
the scoring and was met with indignation for even asking. When told that
Libbett scored I didn't even bother to ask for assists. I mumbled
"announce it next time" and walked back up into the stands. To my
surprise, the announcer stood up and yelled over the glass "It was
announced asshole!" Just that that ... for the whole crowd to hear. Well, I
didn't retaliate but found some solace in the Merrimack fans who
expressed apologetic remarks.

    It turns out I was sitting next to ... and conversing regularly with
Warrior Tom Johnson's parents down from Canada for the game. Mrs.
Johnson reminded me a lot of my mom and we talked about the special
breed that hockey mom's are cut from. Mr. Johnson mentioned getting
regular news from Mike Machnik's Warrior page. It turns out its quite a
resource to them up in Canada, Mike. They have access to all the various
Hockey East web pages. I turned them onto HOCKEY-L. I also got some
inciteful info about the Canadian University squads, "T.J's" possible
future hockey plans and the motivation behind Canadian skaters coming
"down south".

   Talked to Lowell A.D. Dana Skinner between periods and Lowell has a
new official homepage about 2-3 weeks away. Equipped with video
images, pictures, game summaries, complete stats and league standings.
Sounds pretty promising. I told him Lowell's presense has been weak
and this sounds like they'll make quite a jump.

Well, wish I had more time because I have lots more to say, but alas I
must get back to work.

- Paul.