Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 19:18:48 -0401
At 4:19 PM -0400 6/3/96, Deron Treadwell wrote [on INFO-HOCKEY-L]:
>Northeastern University Coach Ben Smith resigned from his position
>today to accept a three-year appointment with USA Hockey according
>to USA Today.
>
>Smith will be the first coach of the United States Olympic Women's
>Hockey team.

This is very interesting.  I'm not sure whether anything should be read
into this regarding the situation Ben had at Northeastern, or whether he
simply wanted an opportunity to coach the national women's team and in the
Olympics in 1998.  It is interesting that he would leave a DivI men's
program to coach the women.

Next question is, who takes over at NU?  Assistants last year were David
Quinn, Tommy Mutch, and Jim Craig.  Quinn may be a candidate...I don't know
who else is at this time.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93